Thursday, October 8, 2009

DAY 496 - Day 399 in Recovery Paradise


One year ago, I wrote:

"I still have the sore on the right side of my tongue, but it's getting better. I think it is healing because of the salt water rinse I gargle with 5 or 6 times a day. I think it is a canker sore and not related to thrush. I still am taking the thrush medicine and the rest of my mouth/tongue feels better. I still have a bit of a sore throat, however. The mucus was heavier and more apparent today than in the past few days. I also had more dry mouth today. Weird. I traded off between dry mouth for awhile and then mucus. I had most of my meals by mouth today, using the Instant Breakfast mix (375 calories) (2 cans each meal), but used the tube for the other brand, since it tastes like cardboard. It only has 300 calories per can, but it has fiber, unlike the IB."

I had commented on being up to 148 lbs. trying to get to 150. Am down to 142 and know that I am at my ideal weight. Went up to 144.5 last week (half & half + ice cream smoothies and peanut butter and honey sandwiches every night) and feel a bit bloated. Will stick with fruit smoothies and try and stabilize around 142.

Mouth still dry a lot. Had blood drawn yesterday and they had a hard time getting the vial full. Told me I had to drink for water. I am trying to add an extra liter of water a day to my diet. Today is Lise's birthday. Sarah and I made homemade Love Coupons for her. She is a great caregiver and I give thanks everyday for having her in my life.

I subscribe to a tonsil-cancer on-line forum. Some of the people that participated last year are not going to make it. Often the posts are of people’s successes, but lately have been dotted with posts from caregivers notifying the rest of us that their spouse had their cancer return. That is the unfortunate reality of this disease.

Love the time you have, tell everyone you love them, let the little things slide and know that just about everything that happens is little.

Quote for the day: "Every man dies. Not every man really lives." ....William Wallace

No comments:

Post a Comment