Saturday, October 3, 2009

DAY 491 - Day 394 in Recovery Paradise

My post from one year ago:

"My wife Lise comes home every single day for lunch. It's the highlight of my day. After lunch we walk around the block to get some exercise in. She makes me do it, even when I don't feel like it. It feels good to make lunch and have it ready for her. I do the same for dinner and have it ready for Lise and Sarah when they get in at 6. This is definitely a positive change over the last month."

I couldn't swallow anything - had to be fed through a feeding tube. I gagged constantly on the mucus. I could barely drink water.

Now I am about 1 year plus a month post treatment and although my mouth is very dry this morning...I did have a Subway meatball sandwich last night...so often, last year, I would sit and sip water and watch my wife and daughter have one of those after Sarah's ballet practice...I wanted to be able to eat one so badly...a good portion of the pleasure now, is because I CAN eat it. I never had a meatball sandwich before this "inconvenience" and never even had a desire to. I eat pretty healthy, but occasionally have a burger or meatball sandwich just to see if I can. Dry bread is still out. Spicy is still an issue and the "spit pills" make me sweat out the top of my head like I had a double jalapeno.

A year ago I was holding up a drip feeder on my feeding tube while watching the "Iron Chef" on the food channel...thinking about that meatball sandwich...now I have double the pleasure because I CAN eat one.

Quote of the day:
"It is the Law that any difficulties that can come to you at any time, no matter what they are, must be exactly what you need most at the moment, to enable you to take the next step forward by overcoming them. The only real misfortune, the only real tragedy, comes when we suffer without learning the lesson." -- Emmet Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment