Tuesday, August 4, 2009

DAY 430 - Day 333 in Recovery Paradise




Had my first PetScan in a year last Sunday at 7am at Kaiser Hospital. This is a test to see if the cancer cells have returned. With a PetScan you first have an injection of a very small amount of a radioactive drug. The amount of radiation is very small. It only stays in the body for a few hours. Depending on which drug you have, the radioactive drug will travel to particular parts of your body. The most common drug is fluorine 18, also known as FDG-18. This is a radioactive version of glucose. I should know the results this week.

I am scheduled for a CTScan on Monday the 17th, at 8am at the same hospital. CT scanning combines special x-ray equipment with sophisticated computers to produce multiple images or pictures of the inside of the body.

I have had three visual checks of my mouth, tonsils and throat and everyone said it looked fine. I, however, have had this pestering sore throat for about two months that just won't go away. That is exactly how this whole thing began over a year and a half ago. I am concerned, but will know soon. Am hoping for good news.

When I was down (but not for the count) last year, I had mentioned to my sister that I had regretted not having gone on a hot air balloon ride. For my birthday last year, she got me a certificate for a Hot Air Balloon Ride with Up & Away Balloon rides over the Napa Valley. I have had it on my wall for a year, waiting for the opportunity and good health to give it a go. We now have our trip scheduled for August 16th. I should have my PetScan results back by then. It will be a fantastic trip no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment