Friday, December 18, 2009

DAY 569 - Day 468 in Recovery Paradise


I have been an active participant in a Tonsil Cancer Support forum for quite a while with many others (mostly US and England). One of our own, Brooks, passed on this last week and we heard from his spouse in a very meaningful post about staying strong to the end. We are all planning a 'virtual' New Year's Eve celebration, where we all will have a photo taken "toasting another year on earth" from whereever we are around the world and have a technology savvy member morph it into a "group" paragraph. Should be memorable.

I have mentioned before how this past year's cancer diagnosis [526 days] was really a blessed opportunity in clever disguise to encourage me to refocus on the elements of my life that are truly important.

I have created a personal "Legacy" blog to share some of the interesting experiences I have had in this long wonderful life. For my children, my children's children and beyond, there will be a bit of me in their lives, long after I am gone.

I have been reading a business book called "12 Choices...That Lead to Your Success" by David Cottrell. The 12th choice is the "Legacy Choice - Your Gift". Here is a line in that chapter: "Many successful men and women hold in common the choice to leave behind a legacy that will live on long after their last breaths".

I have acquired a good amount of experience regarding small business and non-profit organizations over the years, some by doing it all wrong and learning the hard way. I have had grand opportunities and great mentors. Starting in January, I am launching my newest blog Small Biz Tips - Robert Welton to provide tips and suggestions for small business and local non-profits that I dispense everyday in my work with the chamber of commerce.

Prior to my Cancer diagnosis, I, like many others, had lived a good full life, but without much serious consideration about what I had to contribute, to give back, to pass on, etc. of the benefits of my experiences, relationships, some winning and some losing, etc. This past year's experience has provided me a curtain call opportunity to put things in perspective and in some sense of order before the last performance.

Last quote from the 12th chapter of the "12 Choices" I memtioned: "What is your legacy? What marks are you leaving along the path for the next generation?"

I am newly inspired and with appropriate homage to Grace Welton who inspired my love of poetry and to poet Robert Frost...

'The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep. "

2 comments:

  1. The idea of legacy is such a gift to give to yourself and to others it is amazing. I have read some of your archives and you have a great deal of wisdom to offer and pass down.

    Thank you for sharing and your legacy will be amazing!

    Kindest regards,
    Tom Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post. I just had one of the ‘Doh!’ moments and ran back to correct my own site before publishing my comment. You see my own comment form did not match what I’m about to advice. I get less comment than you, so never noticed any problem. I’ve changed it now anyway so here goes.

    part time money

    ReplyDelete