Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DAY 944 - Day 794 in Recovery Paradise

 Two years ago today, I was still recovering from my chemo and radiation with a feeding tube to deal with.  We had driven to "Apple Hill", an area about 45 minutes away in the foothills dotted with beautiful apple farms.  It had and has been an annual trek in the early fall to see the color changes in the leaves, check out the craft booths and pick apples.

An excerpt from my blog on that day was:  "They were giving away apple slice samples at one of the stops. Without thinking, I accepted and popped one in my mouth and started chewing, not realizing that I couldn't do it. Miracle! I was able to eat it. I ended up eating two more entire apples. It's the first solid food I've had in three months." 

Tonight, I fixed stewed chicken and and garlic mashed potatoes with a big green salad with lime juice and Asian chili sauce dressing.  No way I could have had that two years ago.  Good progress.  Still have dry mouth and need lots of liquids...just may be a permanent thing.


I participate in an international on-line forum for tonsil cancer people (what is the proper word here: "patients", ":sufferers", "survivors", "D - all of the above?")  Two of our long time members have noted that cancer has come back more aggressively and in virtually untreatable areas- brain and lungs.  It is sad to see strong people beaten down, that rise up, only to be beaten down again. 


I am now re-purposed again as a result of reading their stories.  I am motivated to make a few more marks in my tiny portion of the universe while I can.  Last night, I enjoyed watching old VHS movies of my sons (now 26, 25, 23) when they were 1, 2, and 4.  Then I pulled out old 8mm tapes of my daughter (now 12) when she was 8 months old.  Great memories.  Now fixated on converting them all to DVD (soon to be replaced by ???) for posterity and an enduring legacy.


My oldest son now has a 3 year old son and another one soon to arrive.  We are getting Ian and Jen a new video camera to start a new generation of recorded memories.


"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." - Winston Churchill 

No comments:

Post a Comment